The Gender Based Violence Topical Interest Group (GBV TIG) is a network of scholars, practitioners, and others interested in advancing research and action focusing on gender based violence.

49 Members
Join Us!

You need to be a member of appliedanthro to add comments!

Join appliedanthro

Comments are closed.

Comments

• Hi all!  

It was so wonderful seeing so many of you at the SfAAs in Albuquerque!  I am elated by how this group continues to grow year by year as more and more scholars dedicate their efforts to analyzing and ameliorating the widespread crises of gender-based violence.  As Laura McClusky and I begin the transition of assuming new leadership roles, I assure you we will do our best to keep things running smoothly.  If you have any inquiries regarding the group, or ideas for initiatives you would like to see the group pursue, please do let us know.  We may be reached directly at mbeske@tulane.edu or lmcclusky@wells.edu.

I am pleased to report that four members have already offered to write our column for upcoming SfAA newsletters!  Should anyone else wish to wish to contribute for that as well, however, we would be more than happy to add your name to the list!  

Finally, as we discussed at our last SfAA meeting, we want to be sure that we have a strong and accessible online presence for all group members.  Mounia El Kotni has thankfully volunteered to be our "tech guru," so if you have any technology-related ideas or questions, please direct them her way (melkotni@albany.edu).  If there is interest, we could certainly create a facebook page for the group as well.  To ensure you receive notifications regarding updates on this SfAA community page, please make sure you have adjusted your settings to allow for email notifications regarding group activity (see Mouia's helpful graphic below).

Welcome, all, and I look forward to many future collaborations!

All the best,

Melissa6731729473?profile=original

• Hi all, 

I've just joined the group and thought I would introduce myself: I am Kelly, an anthropology PhD candidate at the University of Durham in England researching domestic abuse dynamics and helpseeking behaviours/interactions in a Polish migrant context in the UK. Analysis is expected to be informed by socio-cultural, phenomenological, structural/legal and human rights perspectives, with a particular interest in the notion of 'vulnerability' - both as a statistical tool and as a lived, existential experience.

With domestic abuse being such an under-researched area in anthropology, I was really excited to come across this group and to see that so many anthropologists - whose works I have been reading at length -are members. There is really very little anthropological discussion related to domestic abuse in the UK, so I am very interested to see what comes up here. 

If anyone has any thoughts or comments about my work, or is interested getting in touch just in general please don't hesitate to send me an email either here or at: k.m.johnson@durham.ac.uk

Thanks! 

Kelly

• Hi,

I am happy to be part of this group and learn from the members.  I facilitate community life competence which includes mobilising communities to address their own concerns. The approach has been applied all over the world on issues like HIV, peace, women, youth, migration, TB, sex workers, IDUs, etc. You can read more about the approach on our website at
    http://www.communitylifecompetence.org/en/

We have a new e-group up in our online community- Peace Competence group   http://aidscompetence.ning.com/group/peacecompetence We will explore how communities can apply strength-based approaches like community life competence and Appreciative inquiry to achieve peace.

You may join and share your experiences with people from all over the world. Its easy to join. Go to the link given above, sign in as the member of aids competence and click on +join at top right corner.

Other groups which might interest you:

Youth competence group
    http://aidscompetence.ning.com/group/youthcompetence?xg_source=acti...

Let's end gender based violence
    http://aidscompetence.ning.com/group/againstgenderbasedviolence 

Warm regards,
    Rituu

• Hello!! I am looking for some literature/references/authors that talk about GBV interconnected to migration...I know is very broad but I'm wondering if any of you is working on this topic and what theoretical frameworks you think are useful.
  • Hopefully see you at the SfAA meetings!
This reply was deleted.